8The current situation – especially the elections and the economy-can be best understood as a shift from hierarchical to network society. The old hierarchies could impose, just through culture and people wanting to align – norms of behavior and thought. As those institutions have come apart through the acid like impact of
- population increase
- climate anxiety
The old cultures of
- capitalism (with zero interest rates and extreme monopolization)
- representative democracy (the connection of reps to the people is gone)
- family structure (mom and dad)
- education for citizenship (now for job skills)
- jobs (undermined by automation)
- religious sentiment if not belief
- governance through hierarchy
Are broken apart. An emergent network/internet culture is emerging, but so far as part of the breakdown, not yet as reconstitute.
We are between one and the other.
As a result chaos is emerging everywhere as previously hidden tensions emerge with enough power to claim a tribe. The Trump Clinton mess is a result of lots of small things replacing a few large ones. The :public” no longer exists.
Unfortunately the world probably needs managing, and we are losing the capacity.